I distinctly remember reading my bible in college and coming to this verse, "If you love me, you will obey my commands." John 14:15. I stopped dead in my tracks. This was what happened next as I talked to God. "But God, of course, I love you! I will always love you! Just because I'm......doesn't mean that I don't love you! That's not fair!"
I was in a relationship that I knew was most likely not pleasing God. But I had reasons...good reasons....for staying in it. I had a plan. I had control and was fine! I was not loving God less. I was not hurting anyone else. But I was unhappy. I was anxious. I was not at peace. I did not have joy. I was distant from God because of my disobedience. I was still saved. But I was not reaping the benefits of a close relationship with my Lord. I had centered my life on someone other than God. I remember feeling helpless as I read that. I wanted God to know I loved Him, but I wanted to continue in disobedience for myself. It didn't end pretty. The consequences of disobedience are not pretty...
This verse has recently been brought up to me again recently. I, thankfully, am in a very different place than I was those 10+ years ago. I can now say I strive every day to live this out. To obey Christ in everything I say and do. Do I succeed? Not always...not a lot of the time. But I try. Is it easy to be obedient? Simply, no. It is not easy to die to self and acknowledge that you have no control. It is not easy to stand up for Christ all the time. We each have struggles of our own...for some it is something serious like an addiction to drinking, drugs, sex, etc. or adultery while for others it is a "respectable" sin like gossip or pride. But for those of us who love the Lord, we all have a choice to make, usually many times a day, as to if we will be obedient to Christ, or fulfill our own desires. I am here to encourage you to obey his commands! Not only to show Jesus that you love Him, but to live a full life! Verses on this:
" Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galations 6:9
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10
As I said, it is not easy to do "good". But we will reap a harvest in time. Satan is very real, and wants you to believe that God does not know best. That he is keeping you from fun, from a "full" life. Do not believe his lies!!! Jesus died for you that you might have a full life in Him! I learn more and more each day that I cannot make it one second without Jesus. I need Him and my obedience and love for Him have only led to blessings. I'm not talking about material blessings, but those that cannot be measured...peace in hard times, joy in every circumstance, and faith...faith because I can trust a living God to hold me and my family in His arms and carry me every step of the way. Because I love Him, I will strive to obey...I pray this for each of you reading this!:)
(Jesus repeats himself in John 14:23 and John 15:10)
I was in a relationship that I knew was most likely not pleasing God. But I had reasons...good reasons....for staying in it. I had a plan. I had control and was fine! I was not loving God less. I was not hurting anyone else. But I was unhappy. I was anxious. I was not at peace. I did not have joy. I was distant from God because of my disobedience. I was still saved. But I was not reaping the benefits of a close relationship with my Lord. I had centered my life on someone other than God. I remember feeling helpless as I read that. I wanted God to know I loved Him, but I wanted to continue in disobedience for myself. It didn't end pretty. The consequences of disobedience are not pretty...
This verse has recently been brought up to me again recently. I, thankfully, am in a very different place than I was those 10+ years ago. I can now say I strive every day to live this out. To obey Christ in everything I say and do. Do I succeed? Not always...not a lot of the time. But I try. Is it easy to be obedient? Simply, no. It is not easy to die to self and acknowledge that you have no control. It is not easy to stand up for Christ all the time. We each have struggles of our own...for some it is something serious like an addiction to drinking, drugs, sex, etc. or adultery while for others it is a "respectable" sin like gossip or pride. But for those of us who love the Lord, we all have a choice to make, usually many times a day, as to if we will be obedient to Christ, or fulfill our own desires. I am here to encourage you to obey his commands! Not only to show Jesus that you love Him, but to live a full life! Verses on this:
" Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galations 6:9
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10
As I said, it is not easy to do "good". But we will reap a harvest in time. Satan is very real, and wants you to believe that God does not know best. That he is keeping you from fun, from a "full" life. Do not believe his lies!!! Jesus died for you that you might have a full life in Him! I learn more and more each day that I cannot make it one second without Jesus. I need Him and my obedience and love for Him have only led to blessings. I'm not talking about material blessings, but those that cannot be measured...peace in hard times, joy in every circumstance, and faith...faith because I can trust a living God to hold me and my family in His arms and carry me every step of the way. Because I love Him, I will strive to obey...I pray this for each of you reading this!:)
(Jesus repeats himself in John 14:23 and John 15:10)
Comments
Post a Comment