Skip to main content

A Miniature Grocery Cart, The "Mom Bond," and A Sweet Reminder

You know that moment when you feel connected to a fellow mom? You just get what they are going through and it just makes you smile? I had that a few days ago. I love the "mom bond."

I had to run in Winn-Dixie for a few things while Jamie and the kids waited in the car. I was doing my super-mama-fast-walk that you do when you are trying to make a point that you're hurrying so if you run into that random neighbor or friend who likes to talk too much they'll get the picture. You know the one? Well, I was doing really well until I rounded the first turn, and I got so tickled I stopped dead in my tracks.

A young, attractive woman was turned toward me, staring down at something I couldn't see behind a display. As I moved closer, I realized it was her little girl...the cutest thing you ever saw...big poof-ball hair on top and the cutest grin. The look on the mama's face told me she was getting frustrated and as I got closer, I realized why. Her sweetheart was pushing one of those dad-gum little grocery carts! Ha! I laughed out loud because I have been there too many times. The little girl was trying to push forward, but the cart continued to move side to side with no direction...as the mama looked on exasperated until I heard, "Lawd have mercy!" and she marched over to help guide the cart, without the approval of the little one.


I caught the woman's eye as I walked by and said, "I've been there girl...bless you!" I could tell she appreciated the show of support, no matter how small. We have to stick together, right ladies?

I can't tell you how many times I have tried to block Hazel's view of those things! It takes 100 times longer to get through the store because they swerve and sway whichever way the wind blows....into shelves and aisle displays. I'm left praying she doesn't hit somebody too hard with it as she exercises her "independence" and "big-girl" experience. 

And y'all, I think that's how the Lord looks down at us sometimes. Sometimes laughing and sometimes saying in exasperation, "Well, here she goes again...have mercy!" He gives us independence. He gives us the opportunity to step out and be "big girls." He even gives us a chance to drive the cart, no matter how small. And instead of staying on a straight path, we swerve and sway all over the place. We get off track over and over. All the while, holding on like maniacs to the cart, when it won't help a bit. We aren't able to straighten things out on our own. We need Him to reach down and guide the "cart" for us. But do we let Him? 

My long-time Sunday School teacher always said you can learn one of two ways. By instruction...or experience. Learning from instruction...listening to the Lord and His word...is a much easier path. But few of us take it. We feel the need to figure things out on our own. Who cares if it takes twice as long and we make a mess or even hurt people in the process? Our pride is at stake! We can do it on our own. 

But y'all, what a hard road we walk when we choose the latter. One of my goals as a mom is to lead my children to take the first path...to listen to the Lord and learn from instruction. And I think I'm in good company.

As the time of King David’s death approached, he gave this charge to his son Solomon: “I am going where everyone on earth must someday go. Take courage and be a man. Observe the requirements of the Lord your God, and follow all his ways. Keep the decrees, commands, regulations, and laws written in the Law of Moses so that you will be successful in all you do and wherever you go." 1 Kings 2:1-3

King David's final words to his son were reminding him to obey the Lord and His word. He wanted him to learn from instruction. He didn't want him to suffer through the hurt and consequences of bad choices as he had. He was a man after God's own heart...and a dad trying to protect his son.

Lately, I've been the "worst mom ever" because of various events. My kids are the ONLY ones left without a phone...or unable to watch certain shows...or not allowed to go here or there...blah, blah, blah. And I'll be honest...I don't really care. My little people are trying as hard as they can to drive their little carts and honestly, there are days they do great! They stay on a straight path and do a little jig as they go. But because I love them, when they veer off (and it happens a bunch), I am there to correct and guide and discipline when necessary. And I'm so thankful I have a heavenly Father who does the same.

The next time you see one of those pitiful little grocery carts, I hope you smile.
But more than that, I hope you remember the One who will lead you...and you let Him.


"...He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake." Psalm 23:2-3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning!

Hey y'all! I have just launched a new blog site called The Little Moments to continue sharing about what the Lord is teaching me in the little moments of life. Make sure to subscribe/follow at the bottom of the main page and I'll send you a free, 3 Day Devotional! Share with your friends! Thank you so much for reading and see you there! thelittlemoments.org

Why Hard Things? Mercy in the Storms

Disagreement. Discontent. Complaints. Injustice. It seems that it's all we hear about in the news these days. Black vs. White. Democrat vs. Republican. Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice. etc, etc etc. The list could go on all day. But right now, there's none of that. When I turn on the news, I see one thing. A heartbroken community rallying around those who have experienced great loss,  and a shift in focus. That's because tragedy is the great equalizer. Natural disasters, sickness, death...they level the playing field. There is no color or class or financial advantage. A storm doesn't decide to spare one people over another. We are all at the mercy of something we can't control. And we are left helpless, in the waiting. That helplessness. That brokenness. The sheer uncertainty of what tomorrow holds,  brings us together. And it is beautiful to see. We can't talk our way out of it. We can't buy our way out of it. ...

When Things Don't Go Your Way

Tonight Hazel and I sat staring in a koi pond as I waited on my take-out order. She was giggling and pointing and loving the turtles and fish that were moving around below. The turtles came to the surface every now and then, and she asked why the fish never did. I was explaining how God made every animal with different needs and purposes. Fish to live underwater because the air would in fact hurt them, and the turtles with the ability to swim underwater for a time, but needing to come up for air to breathe every now and then. I went on to tell her that if they didn't stay where God made them to be, they wouldn't survive. And I realized it was such a teachable moment... for me . Today I got a "no" on a situation that has, to this point, been a "maybe," and I was hoping might be a "yes." If I'm honest, I felt disappointment and might have shed a few tears. But so clearly I felt the Lord saying, as He has been for the past few months, "I...