Skip to main content

Two Choices That Can Change The Course of Our Day

Yesterday Whit jumped in the car before school and threw something at me. With urgency in his voice, he said, "Mom! Keep it away from me so I won't be tempted...I want to get to play this afternoon!" It was his tablet. He knows that if he plays it when he's not supposed to, he loses it. I was shocked, and honestly a little tickled, but also proud of the maturity of his decision. 

I thought about that little moment in time throughout the day.
Because it wasn't just a tablet story.
It was a story of  choosing obedience over instant gratification.
It was a story of choosing patience over consequences later in the day.
And it was a story of the Lord's goodness in teaching me a lesson through my sweet boy.


"So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, 
along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart." 
2 Timothy 2:22

Flee youthful passions. My Whit had done just that. He not only threw that tablet far from him, but he then moved as far away as he could in the back of our "new to us" mini-van. Almost like if he got too close, he'd just have to snatch it back up, and he wasn't willing to take the risk...you should have seen his face. He meant business.:)

That tablet is a passion for him right now...something to take his heart and mind away from the things of the Lord. Something to distract him from his daily responsibilities. Something that encourages him to choose self over others. Something that can bring joy, but also hard consequences if it's not used correctly. And he knows it.

It made me think about the passions in my own life...and if I flee from them...or get drawn like a moth to a flame. And unfortunately, I know the answer a lot of the time. 

It doesn't have to be a "biggie"  like drinking, drugs, sex, gambling, etc. It may be something as simple as Instagram, volunteer positions, Facebook, TV, exercise, gossip, phones, keeping up with the "Joneses", worry, busyness...they can all be things in our lives that tempt us to focus on things of this world, instead of the Lord. No matter the age, they can all be "youthful passions."

And all of them are not necessarily bad by themselves. 

But if they become a passion...a temptation that leads us to regularly dwell on things that are not of the Lord, or neglect the things that are, the Bible gives us clear instructions. 

It doesn't just say to watch it...or take a step back...or cut down a little.
It says to flee
Flee, y'all. 
Run away from a situation of danger. The opposite direction. With urgency.

That gossip group at work or the gym...or even at church (ouch)? 
Smile, say hey, and keep on walking. 

That phone that is taking your time from your kids and husband?
Hide it away with the ringer up so you'll know if someone really needs you.

That 100th volunteer job that you just took because it makes you feel needed and important?
Politely say no. NO.

That Zulily addiction you have because everything is "such a great price!" and you buy that new blouse or purse or shoe, even though you know you can't afford it?
Delete app-now. Delete automatic credit card info-now.

I am talking to myself here. I have done all of these things...only to pick them back up again. 
It takes practice y'all. And determination. And someone to hold you accountable sometimes.

But the sense of relief that comes after letting some of these things go is so freeing. 
So amazingly freeing. 

Fleeing=freeing yourself from things you didn't even know had you sometimes.

But there's a second part to this verse.
Not only are we to flee youthful passions, but we are to pursue as well.

I love that the Lord gives us awesome action words.
It's like He's spurring us on to make bold decisions for Him!

Flee the things that will hurt us and pursue the things for our good:
righteousness, faith, love, and peace.

What a list, right?
Seek out those people and places and things that draw you closer to the Lord.
That grow your faith.
That teach you how to love in a deeper way.
That bring peace to your soul.
And call on the name of the Lord.

The Lord is an amazing teacher.
He gives explicit instructions.
And there is no gray here.

Following these directions means dying to self.
Over and over. 
But the reward is so worth it.

So, the next time that "tablet" pops up in your life,
give it to someone who is trustworthy to put it up for awhile.
Walk away. Take a break. Or even go hide in the back of your mini-van if you need to.

But leave that youthful passion behind. 
And run to the one who will help you pursue the things that bring life.
He will be there to love you and gently guide you back to the path of righteousness.

"He covers you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge..." 
Psalm 91:4

"The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."
Proverbs 18:10













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning!

Hey y'all! I have just launched a new blog site called The Little Moments to continue sharing about what the Lord is teaching me in the little moments of life. Make sure to subscribe/follow at the bottom of the main page and I'll send you a free, 3 Day Devotional! Share with your friends! Thank you so much for reading and see you there! thelittlemoments.org

Why Hard Things? Mercy in the Storms

Disagreement. Discontent. Complaints. Injustice. It seems that it's all we hear about in the news these days. Black vs. White. Democrat vs. Republican. Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice. etc, etc etc. The list could go on all day. But right now, there's none of that. When I turn on the news, I see one thing. A heartbroken community rallying around those who have experienced great loss,  and a shift in focus. That's because tragedy is the great equalizer. Natural disasters, sickness, death...they level the playing field. There is no color or class or financial advantage. A storm doesn't decide to spare one people over another. We are all at the mercy of something we can't control. And we are left helpless, in the waiting. That helplessness. That brokenness. The sheer uncertainty of what tomorrow holds,  brings us together. And it is beautiful to see. We can't talk our way out of it. We can't buy our way out of it. ...

When Things Don't Go Your Way

Tonight Hazel and I sat staring in a koi pond as I waited on my take-out order. She was giggling and pointing and loving the turtles and fish that were moving around below. The turtles came to the surface every now and then, and she asked why the fish never did. I was explaining how God made every animal with different needs and purposes. Fish to live underwater because the air would in fact hurt them, and the turtles with the ability to swim underwater for a time, but needing to come up for air to breathe every now and then. I went on to tell her that if they didn't stay where God made them to be, they wouldn't survive. And I realized it was such a teachable moment... for me . Today I got a "no" on a situation that has, to this point, been a "maybe," and I was hoping might be a "yes." If I'm honest, I felt disappointment and might have shed a few tears. But so clearly I felt the Lord saying, as He has been for the past few months, "I...