Skip to main content

May I Never Lose the Wonder...


It was a normal day. Work, kids, activities, etc. were on the agenda. I was getting things straight in my mind for the day. It was kind of a ho-hum morning. But as I turned onto 280, this amazing picture is what the Lord gave me.

My most favorite thing in the world is when the light shines through the clouds in separate light beams that seem to touch the ground. The wonder...the incomprehensible wonder of all the Lord has done, and is doing, hits me like a ton of bricks. I look expectantly, just waiting to see Jesus floating down from the clouds. I haven't seen Him yet, but I keep hoping it won't be long until He decides to come back.


How long, O Lord, must I call for help?
But you do not listen!
“Violence is everywhere!” I cry,
    but you do not come to save.
Must I forever see these evil deeds?
    Why must I watch all this misery?
Wherever I look,
    I see destruction and violence.
I am surrounded by people
    who love to argue and fight.
Habakkuk 1:2-3

Sound familiar? Have you cried these very words? It's heartbreaking to turn on the TV or scroll my Facebook feed. One story after the other of hard things, bad choices, and lives gone astray jump out at me. "Friends" sparring over the President, political ideas, and racial injustice. Oh, y'all, it's a lot to take in. If you choose to go there.

But, here's the thing. Violence, evil deeds, misery, destruction, arguing, fighting....the same things that were rampant 2500 years ago are still around today. And they aren't going anywhere. Instead of focusing on the things of this world, let's focus on the wonder of our God.


Wonder is defined as a feeling of surprise mingled with admiration,
 caused by something beautiful, unexpected, unfamiliar, or inexplicable. 

There are Seven Classic Wonders of the World: the Colossus of Rhodes, the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, the Lighthouse of Alexandria, the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, and the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus.

But, y'all there are wonders in our everyday lives. They may not be grand pyramids or miraculous moments of healing. But they make you catch your breath in awe. They make you smile on the inside because of the inexplicable joy they bring. 


"O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are
too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds,
I would never come to the end of them." Psalm 40:5

The moment your baby sleeps through the night.
The day your five-year-old shares with his sister.
The gorgeous leaves changing colors (in spite of 90 degree weather).
The time you remember to renew your car tag on time. 
The smile on one of your students' faces, who doesn't have anything to smile about.

The healthy meal you fixed for your family in spite of tumbling, soccer, and homework.
The gorgeous sunset you see on the way home after a long day of work. 
The time your three-year-old is listening to the radio and screams, "the cross! they said the cross! like Jesus died on the cross!" so proud of herself.
The quick minute your seven-year-old pulls you down to cuddle with him before bedtime.
The plea from your ten-year-old to take her on "date" to spend time together.

Y'all, there are wonders all around. And they all start with Jesus.
He surprises me every day because of the beautiful, unexpected, unfamiliar, inexplicable works of His hands.  He loves me. He forgives me. He gives grace. And He gives mercy. He is The Wonder of this world.

I challenge you to seek Him, more than ever. 
I challenge you to focus on the wonder that He is, and the wonders He gives us.
I challenge you to BE a part of what He is doing all around us,
in spite of all this earthly world throws at us.

Here are two things to help us focus on the wonders around us.
1. Write encouraging scriptures down and post them.
In your car, around your home, at your desk-wherever you need to be reminded of the wonder all around you. And share them with a friend. These are some of my favorites.

"Those who fear the Lord are secure; He will be a refuge for their children." Proverbs 4:26

"For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward them that fear Him. As the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:11-12

"Know this well, then. Take it to heart right now: God is in Heaven above; God is on Earth below. He's the only God there is." Deuteronomy 4:39

"Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!" Psalm 116:2

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." Isaiah 40:11

2. Make a Wonder Wall in your home. 
A bulletin board, chalk board, whatever your want. Reserve a place for you and your family to post the wonders of your day. Leave them up and look at them often to remind yourself of His work in the midst of a fallen world. I need the encouragement every day, and I bet you do too. 

May I never lose the wonder of all He is and all that is to come.

May I never lose the wonder,
Oh, the wonder of Your mercy.
May I sing Your hallelujah,
Hallelujah, Amen.
-Matt Redman





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning!

Hey y'all! I have just launched a new blog site called The Little Moments to continue sharing about what the Lord is teaching me in the little moments of life. Make sure to subscribe/follow at the bottom of the main page and I'll send you a free, 3 Day Devotional! Share with your friends! Thank you so much for reading and see you there! thelittlemoments.org

Why Hard Things? Mercy in the Storms

Disagreement. Discontent. Complaints. Injustice. It seems that it's all we hear about in the news these days. Black vs. White. Democrat vs. Republican. Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice. etc, etc etc. The list could go on all day. But right now, there's none of that. When I turn on the news, I see one thing. A heartbroken community rallying around those who have experienced great loss,  and a shift in focus. That's because tragedy is the great equalizer. Natural disasters, sickness, death...they level the playing field. There is no color or class or financial advantage. A storm doesn't decide to spare one people over another. We are all at the mercy of something we can't control. And we are left helpless, in the waiting. That helplessness. That brokenness. The sheer uncertainty of what tomorrow holds,  brings us together. And it is beautiful to see. We can't talk our way out of it. We can't buy our way out of it. ...

When Things Don't Go Your Way

Tonight Hazel and I sat staring in a koi pond as I waited on my take-out order. She was giggling and pointing and loving the turtles and fish that were moving around below. The turtles came to the surface every now and then, and she asked why the fish never did. I was explaining how God made every animal with different needs and purposes. Fish to live underwater because the air would in fact hurt them, and the turtles with the ability to swim underwater for a time, but needing to come up for air to breathe every now and then. I went on to tell her that if they didn't stay where God made them to be, they wouldn't survive. And I realized it was such a teachable moment... for me . Today I got a "no" on a situation that has, to this point, been a "maybe," and I was hoping might be a "yes." If I'm honest, I felt disappointment and might have shed a few tears. But so clearly I felt the Lord saying, as He has been for the past few months, "I...