Skip to main content

The Impact of Every Day Acts of Kindness

Last week at school, we had a kindness program for our students. One of the activities was making kindness chains. Each child had to write something kind that someone had done for them or vice versa. I was amazed that each one, whether a kindergartner or a fifth grader, immediately knew something they could write. 

Here are some of their sweet messages:

 "I helped my mom cook."

 "My sister let me play with her."

 "My dad helped me up when I was down."

 "My friend hugs me when I get off the bus."

 "My mom helps me when I get hurt because when I get cut she puts peroxide on my cut."

"When I fell down, my sister laughed at me, but she felt bad
so she took me to the movies to say sorry."

After every student had written on their strip, we put them together in one huge chain. That chain hangs in the main hall of the school as a reminder that there is kindness all around us. 
We just have to look for it.


Even though this was an activity for elementary school students, I think it is an important lesson for all of us. One glance at the news and we are overwhelmed by violence and lies and corruption and strife. But what the news rarely reports are the small acts of kindness all around us.  

A son who helps his mom cook, sisters who play together, a dad who cheers his son up when he's down, a friend who gives sweet hugs, a mom who makes boo-boos feel better, or a sister who makes things right when she hurts your feelings. And these are just a few examples. We don't have to look far to fill our hearts and minds with encouragement.

You may not hang a chain up in your home (but you could:)). It might be a simple list on a notepad beside your bed. But this Christmas and throughout the year, overwhelm yourself with the kindness all around you. It is there, no matter how small and insignificant it may seem. Shine your light for all to see and keep your eyes open for the other small flames around you. Then hold them close to your heart. 

"Do not let kindness and truth leave you; 
Bind them around your neck, 
Write them on the tablet of your heart." 
Proverbs 3:3







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning!

Hey y'all! I have just launched a new blog site called The Little Moments to continue sharing about what the Lord is teaching me in the little moments of life. Make sure to subscribe/follow at the bottom of the main page and I'll send you a free, 3 Day Devotional! Share with your friends! Thank you so much for reading and see you there! thelittlemoments.org

Why Hard Things? Mercy in the Storms

Disagreement. Discontent. Complaints. Injustice. It seems that it's all we hear about in the news these days. Black vs. White. Democrat vs. Republican. Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice. etc, etc etc. The list could go on all day. But right now, there's none of that. When I turn on the news, I see one thing. A heartbroken community rallying around those who have experienced great loss,  and a shift in focus. That's because tragedy is the great equalizer. Natural disasters, sickness, death...they level the playing field. There is no color or class or financial advantage. A storm doesn't decide to spare one people over another. We are all at the mercy of something we can't control. And we are left helpless, in the waiting. That helplessness. That brokenness. The sheer uncertainty of what tomorrow holds,  brings us together. And it is beautiful to see. We can't talk our way out of it. We can't buy our way out of it. ...

When Things Don't Go Your Way

Tonight Hazel and I sat staring in a koi pond as I waited on my take-out order. She was giggling and pointing and loving the turtles and fish that were moving around below. The turtles came to the surface every now and then, and she asked why the fish never did. I was explaining how God made every animal with different needs and purposes. Fish to live underwater because the air would in fact hurt them, and the turtles with the ability to swim underwater for a time, but needing to come up for air to breathe every now and then. I went on to tell her that if they didn't stay where God made them to be, they wouldn't survive. And I realized it was such a teachable moment... for me . Today I got a "no" on a situation that has, to this point, been a "maybe," and I was hoping might be a "yes." If I'm honest, I felt disappointment and might have shed a few tears. But so clearly I felt the Lord saying, as He has been for the past few months, "I...