Tonight we had family movie night and watched The Wizard of Oz. I love that movie for a number of reasons and have watched it probably a million times in my life. Tonight as I watched, something struck me that hadn't before though. I realized I wanted to be like Dorothy. Not because of her sparkly ruby slippers or that beautiful Auburn hair (love Judy Garland), but for another reason that is easy to overlook. I have one thing in common with her already, and that is that I love being home. I truly believe there is no place like home...my home town or my literal house with my family. But tonight I realized something else about her that hadn't stood out before. Something I hope to have in common also.
Here's a quick recap. Dorothy ended up in a far-off land and wanted to go home. She set off on a quest to find the Wizard of Oz, who she was told, would grant her wish. Along the way she met a scarecrow who longed for a brain. Without hesitation, she invited him along, straw falling out and everything, sure that the Wizard would help him too. A little farther down the road, they met a tin man who desperately wanted a heart. He was rusty and couldn't move very well, but once again, Dorothy and Scarecrow invited him as well, sure that the Wizard would help him too. And wouldn't you know it, a little farther down the road, they met another soul in need of help. But this time their welcome wasn't so friendly. It was a lion who tried to frighten them away, and instead was asked to join their little caravan in hopes that he might receive some courage from the great Wizard. They set off on a journey that was filled with trouble, danger, and those who tried to hinder their plans. But through it all they stuck together, found the Great Oz, and after a daring escapade and interesting turn of events, received their wishes, though not exactly as they had planned.
You see, I think a lot of us are like Dorothys. Searching for Home. And the only One who can get us there. In our journey, we meet friends who need things. Wisdom. Heart. Courage. But here's where the similarities may stop. Dorothy showed hospitality to total strangers. Even those who were ill-equipped, slow, and tiresome. She opened her heart and little basket to help others in need. But she didn't stop there. She led them down the yellow brick road (dancing in step a good bit of the way:)) to the only One who could help them. The only one who could provide wisdom, heart, and courage. And y'all, we need to do that too.
I think we all search for home. Some of us earthly, but all of us eternal. Whether we know it or not, I think we all have a longing for the only One who can satisfy our souls. We have friends, who we know have needs. Some we can fulfill with earthly means. Others only a heavenly Father can provide. And He wants to. But do we put our arm through theirs and say, "Let me lead you to the One who can help you. Let me tell you how great and powerful He is! I'll take you to Him!" Do we? Or do we say a little prayer and watch from afar? God can absolutely do a work in our friends' lives on His own. But sometimes, we might be the tool he wants to use to reach them.
As we get closer and closer to the day of Jesus' birth, I have a list of those in my mind, who I want to lead to the King. The Great One. The only One who can fill the empty places in their hearts and set them free from fear, worry, guilt, shame, and emptiness. I wish I had a star to follow or a yellow brick road that I could just send them down. That would be easy. But Dorothy didn't send her friends alone. She took them by the arm and stood by them all the way there. Even when times were tough, even when she was afraid and might have wanted to turn back, she stayed.
I want to be like Dorothy. And I hope you do too. It doesn't take a Bible scholar or a degree of any kind, for that matter. It will take wisdom, a tender, humble heart, and a good dose of courage. But thankfully, the One who can give it is not in a distant far off land, but right here with us. He is accessible any time of day or night. And longs for us to call on Him.
"So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him."
Matthew 7:11 NIV
"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great
and unsearchable things you do not know."
Jeremiah 33:3 NIV
In a few days we will celebrate the birth of Jesus. The One who came to save us from our sin. To live the life we couldn't live, and die the death that we deserve. He loves you. And he is waiting for you to come to Him. This is the perfect time to share Him with someone in your life who may need Him just as much as you do.
Merry Christmas (again):)
Verses for Wisdom:
"But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere."
James 3:17 NLT
"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking."
James 1:5 NLT
Verses for Heart (Loving Others):
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."
1 Peter 4:8 NIV
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."
John 15:12 ESV
Verses for Courage:
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid, for the Lord God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9 NIV
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27
"The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?"
Psalm 27:1 NLT
Comments
Post a Comment