Mother's Day is around the corner, and I have been thinking about all of the responsibility motherhood brings with it. And how over the past few years, I feel like it has quadrupled! Being a mom is never just "being a mom." Over the years, I've held many other job titles: maid, cook, nurse, taxi driver, etc...you know what I mean. But every mom has some titles specific to her. My kids gave me these: "back-scratcher," "a-million-to-infinity picture-taker," "hours-long shopper," "funny-dancer," and "Coke-drinker."
But today I got a new title that I had not heard before...PARTY POOPER.
Here's how it went down on a field trip with Whit:
Me: "Hey-boys-no punching and wrestling in the courtroom! Hands to self...hands to self..."
Whit: (completely flat look on his face) "Party Pooper!"
Me: (in my head) "Party Pooper??? Did he really just call me that out loud???"
But today I got a new title that I had not heard before...PARTY POOPER.
Here's how it went down on a field trip with Whit:
Me: "Hey-boys-no punching and wrestling in the courtroom! Hands to self...hands to self..."
Whit: (completely flat look on his face) "Party Pooper!"
Me: (in my head) "Party Pooper??? Did he really just call me that out loud???"
Yes, yes he did.
And the truth is, that I feel like I am always being the Party Pooper lately. This teaching and correcting and disciplining and guiding is not for the faint of heart! Trying to keep up with a tween, non-stop boy, and toddler, who are all in different stages is...wow, just wow!
"No, we aren't going to use that app..."
"Stop throwing the ball in the house!"
"No, you can't have another slushy today..." (cue crying)
I am the fun-stopper. I am too strict. And I worry too much.
At least that's what my kids would tell you some days.
But, guys, right now, in this season of life, that is part of my job.
And it is tough stuff.
I love fun. I love to see my kids enjoying each other.
I love fun apps and baseball and slushies...
But, there is more than fun at stake.
I am not trying to raise "buddies" right now. I am trying to raise children who will one day be (as our long-time Sunday School teacher used to say) employable and marriageable. People that I would like to be friends with one day. And most of all, people who love the Lord. But it is not always fun being the "bad guy."
So, as I was lamenting this new title today, the Lord gave me these sweet reminders, and I wanted to share with my fellow Party Poopers. Here's some encouragement for all of the parenting we have left to do:
1. We (along with our husbands) have been entrusted with leading our children to the Lord, even if it's not always cool.
"You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."
Deuteronomy 6:5-9 NLT
We are to teach our children about the Lord and His ways every day. At home and on the road. In the morning and at night. Whenever we can. And His ways do not agree with the ways of the world. And that makes it hard. And makes us uncool sometimes. But we must teach them to obey and follow rules. We must give them limitations and boundaries. We must choose the Lords' instructions first, and our kids' wants second.
2. We are responsible for guarding their hearts.
"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it."
Proverbs 4:23 NLT
There will come a day when our children turn into adults, and they will be responsible for what they take in. But until that time, we should be teaching them how to make wise choices about what they allow into their hearts and minds. Whatever goes in, will eventually come out in their actions and words. Sometimes that means saying no to certain shows, songs, or apps. It doesn't always make us popular. But stand your ground. The long-term benefit far outweighs the temporary happiness of that moment. (Disclaimer: I sometimes allow more than I should, so I'm talking to myself here too...always a work in progress:))
3. God makes everything beautiful in its time.
"For everything there is a season,
a time for every activity under heaven...
A time to plant and a time to harvest...
Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time."
Ecclesiastes 3:1,2,11 NLT
Right now my days are not always beautiful. There is a lot of planting going on in this season. So many seeds being planted. Seeds of love and obedience and discipline and mercy and grace. And it may be a long time until I see a full harvest. But Galatians 6:9, which I have shared before, tells us that there will be a harvest if we don't give up. The beauty that the Lord brings cannot be matched. And beautiful hearts come from loving and knowing and trusting in Him.
4. We are not alone.
"He will feed his flock like a shepherd,
He will carry the lambs in His arms,
holding them close to His heart.
He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young."
Isaiah 40:11 NLT
The Lord is right there. He is feeding me with His word, carrying me and my babies close to His heart, and gently leading me down this path of motherhood. Some paths are smooth and easy. Others are super rocky and scary. But He is with me on each one.
Parenting is hard. And there is no perfect science.
Prayer, chocolate, and more prayer are needed around here daily!
But I am so thankful for grace, mercy, and a chance to start fresh every morning.
The fun, laughter, and "I love you Mom" are the awesome glimmers of hope and joy that keep me going on tough days. My three have blessed me beyond measure.
So, I have high hopes that I will receive a new title soon.
But, for today, Party Pooper it is.
And I'm ok with that.
Mother's Day three years ago, when I was pretty cool most days.:)
Comments
Post a Comment