Disagreement. Discontent. Complaints. Injustice.
It seems that it's all we hear about in the news these days.
Black vs. White.
Democrat vs. Republican.
Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice.
etc, etc etc.
The list could go on all day.
But right now, there's none of that.
When I turn on the news, I see one thing.
A heartbroken community rallying around those who have experienced great loss,
and a shift in focus.
That's because tragedy is the great equalizer.
Natural disasters, sickness, death...they level the playing field.
There is no color or class or financial advantage.
A storm doesn't decide to spare one people over another.
We are all at the mercy of something we can't control.
And we are left helpless, in the waiting.
That helplessness.
That brokenness.
The sheer uncertainty of what tomorrow holds, brings us together.
And it is beautiful to see.
We can't talk our way out of it.
We can't buy our way out of it.
We can't earn our way out of it.
We can't rely on man to save us.
Instead, we look to the One who controls the oceans and the seas.
The One who is our ever-present help in time of trouble.
And we pray.
I saw a video of a sweet lady thanking God her life was spared, as she sat in a pile of rubble that used to be her home.
I watched parents shed tears in the midst of unbelievable heartache, as they shared about their precious baby girl now gone to heaven.
I shed tears in complete thankfulness for the safety of many I know and complete heartbreak for those whose lives are forever changed because of extreme loss.
And I sat wondering why one family and not another? Why one home and not another?
I watched parents shed tears in the midst of unbelievable heartache, as they shared about their precious baby girl now gone to heaven.
I shed tears in complete thankfulness for the safety of many I know and complete heartbreak for those whose lives are forever changed because of extreme loss.
And I sat wondering why one family and not another? Why one home and not another?
The truth is that I don't know why a tornado takes on a certain path or why one person is spared over another, but I do know this.
In John 9, Jesus approaches a man, blind from birth. Those around questioned why the man was born blind and Jesus says this:
"It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins," Jesus answered.
"This happened so the power of God could be seen in him."
John 9:3
Did you get that? It had nothing to do what the man had or hadn't done. It didn't matter who his parents were. He was born blind for a greater purpose. So that "the power of God could be seen in him."
A little later, after Jesus had miraculously healed him, some asked the man:
"How then were your eyes opened?" they asked.
John 9:10
In this case, Jesus healed his eyes with a little spit and some mud.
Gross, right?
But more than giving this one man physical sight, He opened the eyes of those around him through his sad predicament.
The man's brokenness couldn't be denied.
And neither could the power of God.
People are dropping their defenses.
They are helping neighbors they may never have met before.
They are embracing and sharing and giving in a way they normally wouldn't.
And it's all because of something potentially scary, devastating, and hard to watch.
And yet, we see God's glory. We see grace.
And perhaps, we see mercy in the storm.
Mercy that allows us to stop focusing on the things of this world, and instead,
fix our eyes on what's most important.
The Lord uses everyday people and events for His amazing purposes.
It doesn't always look the same.
He can use doctors and medicine.
He can use first responders.
He can use the everyday mom, dad, or friend.
He can use the everyday mom, dad, or friend.
He can use the least of these who share the little they have.
He can use a massive tornado.
And He can even use you.
The world is not all about us, y'all.
The Lord has a plan. Greater than anything we could imagine.
Our pain. Our heartache. Physical suffering. Natural disasters. Even death.
They are tools. Tools to open our eyes to see God's glory.
To embrace those around us, free from judgment.
To level the playing ground and see that there is only One who is powerful to save.
And to take every opportunity to share that anything good in us comes from above.
In our own strength, we are weak.
But with the Lord, we are strong.
Use the coming days to see His glory displayed.
Look around at all of the blessings in the brokenness.
Keep giving and helping and loving without boundaries.
Keep giving and helping and loving without boundaries.
Thank Him for His great mercy. Brag on all He's doing in your heart.
And, like Paul, use the brokenness in your own life to point to Him.
"And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power."
1 Corinthians 2:1-5
Take a minute to just sit down and watch the Lord work...
Comments
Post a Comment