It's funny what we treasure in this world. All of the things our hands will hold. All of the things that pass through them. And all of the things we long for that are just out of reach. Or maybe it's not funny at all. It convicts me so deeply to see what I value most some days.
We all know that people and relationships and love matter more than material things. If we were asked to make a list of what we are most thankful for, I can't imagine anyone who would list stuff above their family or friends. But do we live that out?
I recently came across this verse and it struck my heart:
"We all come to the end of our lives as naked and empty-handed as on the day we were born. We can't take our riches with us." Ecclesiastes 5:15
And y'all, I couldn't get off of that word empty-handed. It's true that we all came into this world empty-handed. And it's true that we can't take anything in physical form with us when we die. But what about the in-between?
A couple of weeks before my Meme passed away, it was a rare occasion that I was without kids, and I had some time, so I stopped by to see her. We visited and reminisced about old times as I filled in a book of memories we worked on each time I came. After asking her about an old boyfriend, which made her think long and hard for the answer, when she couldn't remember she quipped, "You ask too many questions!" I laughed and told her we didn't have to do anymore! She smiled and we sat contented to just be there together. I was holding her hand that day.
After a few minutes I stood up and told her she should get on to lunch, but instead of wishing me a goodbye, she squeezed my hand and said, "Don't go..." So of course, I stayed as long as I could. I think she might have known that there wouldn't be another visit like that one, and she just wanted to hold on a little longer. I know I did. Both of our hands were full that day, if only for a short while.
As I sit her typing now, my hands are empty. But the memories of all the hands that have held mine over the past forty years fill my mind. I am certain that within minutes of me being born, my mama and daddy were putting their fingers in my tiny little hands. They held those same fat little fingers as I learned to walk, crossed the street, and many years later learned to drive a stick-shift. As I graduated, got married, and had babies, they have held my hand. The friends who have stood by my side and squeezed my hand on so many occasions. My husband whose hand wraps around mine so perfectly. My sweet babies who I helped learn to walk and cross the street. And yes, my grandparents, who I loved so dearly.
One of my favorite movies is the 1990's version of Little Women. Not much makes me smile more than the ending scene when Friedrich says, "But I have nothing to give you! My hands are empty!" And she reaches for his hand, threads her fingers through his, and says, "Not empty now!" Y'all, the people the Lord places in our lives to hold our hands along life's hard roads are to be valued far more than money or fame or the world's recognition.
We will leave this world empty-handed one day, but the love and sweet memories of those who held on tight to us and our loved ones will live on. Don't hesitate to reach out and grab hold of the hands of those you love. In doing so, you are saying, I'm present with you, I will stand by you, and we're in this crazy life together! Those are the amazing gifts to be treasured most.
Comments
Post a Comment