Tonight Hazel and I sat staring in a koi pond as I waited on my take-out order. She was giggling and pointing and loving the turtles and fish that were moving around below. The turtles came to the surface every now and then, and she asked why the fish never did. I was explaining how God made every animal with different needs and purposes. Fish to live underwater because the air would in fact hurt them, and the turtles with the ability to swim underwater for a time, but needing to come up for air to breathe every now and then. I went on to tell her that if they didn't stay where God made them to be, they wouldn't survive. And I realized it was such a teachable moment...for me.
Today I got a "no" on a situation that has, to this point, been a "maybe," and I was hoping might be a "yes." If I'm honest, I felt disappointment and might have shed a few tears. But so clearly I felt the Lord saying, as He has been for the past few months, "I'm right here Maggie, and I have a plan. Just hang on." And then..."You asked for clear direction, and you have this "no" to show you this is clearly not where I want you right now."
In my Bible study answer kind of way I am saying, "I know Lord. I prayed for the decision makers to have wisdom and discernment in making this choice. I asked to be in Your will. Thank you for your provision. I trust you, and I lay my life down at your feet. Thank you for closing that door."
But in my flesh, I am thinking, "Man, I wish that had gone my way." Just truth, y'all.
But do you know why? Because I can only see the present. And He sees the future.
Just like the millions of fish and turtles in the world, who have a life created by intricate design in perfect detail as to how they live and move and eat and breathe...we do too. But more than that, we each have a specific purpose to be used for the Lord in this world. And when we seek God's will for our lives, and not our own, He will lead us in amazing ways.
He protects us from what we cannot see. He holds us back from things that are not His best. And if we jump ahead of His plan, we will end up flopping around like a fish out of water, setting ourselves up with unnecessary struggles that we could have avoided if we just waited. for. Him.
Oh y'all, the "no's" in life can be hard. They can hurt your feelings and let's be honest, your pride a little bit. They can make you question yourself and your purpose. What you said, what you did...but as my mom reminded me today. "It's not about you, Maggie." (Always good to have someone to bring you back to making the main thing the main thing.) And it's not about me...or you.
It's about Him. And His plan. And His purpose. And that place my sweet friends, is the best place to be. So tonight, I am thankful for this "no," sincerely thankful, and waiting with anticipation for what's to come.
Today I got a "no" on a situation that has, to this point, been a "maybe," and I was hoping might be a "yes." If I'm honest, I felt disappointment and might have shed a few tears. But so clearly I felt the Lord saying, as He has been for the past few months, "I'm right here Maggie, and I have a plan. Just hang on." And then..."You asked for clear direction, and you have this "no" to show you this is clearly not where I want you right now."
In my Bible study answer kind of way I am saying, "I know Lord. I prayed for the decision makers to have wisdom and discernment in making this choice. I asked to be in Your will. Thank you for your provision. I trust you, and I lay my life down at your feet. Thank you for closing that door."
But in my flesh, I am thinking, "Man, I wish that had gone my way." Just truth, y'all.
But do you know why? Because I can only see the present. And He sees the future.
Just like the millions of fish and turtles in the world, who have a life created by intricate design in perfect detail as to how they live and move and eat and breathe...we do too. But more than that, we each have a specific purpose to be used for the Lord in this world. And when we seek God's will for our lives, and not our own, He will lead us in amazing ways.
He protects us from what we cannot see. He holds us back from things that are not His best. And if we jump ahead of His plan, we will end up flopping around like a fish out of water, setting ourselves up with unnecessary struggles that we could have avoided if we just waited. for. Him.
Oh y'all, the "no's" in life can be hard. They can hurt your feelings and let's be honest, your pride a little bit. They can make you question yourself and your purpose. What you said, what you did...but as my mom reminded me today. "It's not about you, Maggie." (Always good to have someone to bring you back to making the main thing the main thing.) And it's not about me...or you.
It's about Him. And His plan. And His purpose. And that place my sweet friends, is the best place to be. So tonight, I am thankful for this "no," sincerely thankful, and waiting with anticipation for what's to come.
"The Lord's loving kindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22-23
Comments
Post a Comment