Skip to main content

You Lead, I'll Follow

"You're the best mom in the whole world!" my youngest told me the other day as she looked on me with loving eyes and admiration. What did I do to deserve this sweet proclamation? I let her have another super sugary sticky popsicle of course! But a few hours later...."You're the meanest mommy in the whole world!" she proclaimed with squinty eyes and crossed arms. What had I done to change her glowing thoughts of me in those last 180 minutes? I wouldn't let her get a toy she wanted in the grand land of Target.

And y'all, I feel like sometimes we can play this game with the Lord. We can proclaim His greatness in the good times, but cross our arms and call Him names and doubt His plan when things don't go our way. When He gives us good gifts and and works according to our roadmap, we are happy to tell people what a great God He is. But when He withholds our wants, takes away things or people dear to us, or changes our plans completely, we become silent. But the only thing that has changed is our circumstances. Not God.

That same little princess was with my mom and me running errands in Home Depot recently. She was decked out in a sequin headband, rhinestone on her nose, princess shirt tucked into leggings and shiny slip ons. She was rocking life that day. She informed my mom that she wanted to push the buggy...alone. Miss Independent took over, strapped her baby doll in the seat, and started to go. But she shocked us when she turned to my mom and said, "Now, you lead the way!" My mom quickly said, "Yes m'am," and I brought up the rear. It made me smile to see that even though she wanted her independence, she knew she didn't know where she was going. She trusted my mom to lead so she could follow. She trusted me to follow her, making sure that she didn't get lost along the way. And it made me think of this verse:

"You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head."
Psalm 139:5 NLT

As much as we want to blaze our own trail, we have to remember that we alone are helpless. But the Lord wants to be our Helper. He knows what is behind us, what is happening right now, and what is to come. We can trust that no matter our circumstances, He will hem us in behind and before. 

When we allow Him to be our guide and our protector, it helps us to praise Him in the good times in the bad. When we ask Him to place His hand of blessing on us, we can trust that He is working all things for good, even if it doesn't look like it or feel like it in the moment. And it will help give us the strength to share what He is doing in our lives, even if we feel unequipped. 

In Psalm 71:15, David says, "I will tell everyone about your righteousness, All day long I will proclaim your saving power, though I am not skilled with words." And in verse 17, "O God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood, and I constantly tell others about the wonderful things you do. Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me." 

My sweet friends, even though your feelings may tell you the Lord loves you and is for you one day...and He is the meanest another...hold on to the truth that He is constant. Right there with you, never changing, your solid ground when circumstances don't look like you pictured them. And be ok with saying, "God, I don't know what you're doing, but I will trust. I don't understand why you allow good things to be given and taken away sometimes. But I will let you lead, and I will not fear or dwell on what's behind me. I will praise you in the good and praise you in the bad. And I will tell others the same." Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning!

Hey y'all! I have just launched a new blog site called The Little Moments to continue sharing about what the Lord is teaching me in the little moments of life. Make sure to subscribe/follow at the bottom of the main page and I'll send you a free, 3 Day Devotional! Share with your friends! Thank you so much for reading and see you there! thelittlemoments.org

Why Hard Things? Mercy in the Storms

Disagreement. Discontent. Complaints. Injustice. It seems that it's all we hear about in the news these days. Black vs. White. Democrat vs. Republican. Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice. etc, etc etc. The list could go on all day. But right now, there's none of that. When I turn on the news, I see one thing. A heartbroken community rallying around those who have experienced great loss,  and a shift in focus. That's because tragedy is the great equalizer. Natural disasters, sickness, death...they level the playing field. There is no color or class or financial advantage. A storm doesn't decide to spare one people over another. We are all at the mercy of something we can't control. And we are left helpless, in the waiting. That helplessness. That brokenness. The sheer uncertainty of what tomorrow holds,  brings us together. And it is beautiful to see. We can't talk our way out of it. We can't buy our way out of it. ...

When Things Don't Go Your Way

Tonight Hazel and I sat staring in a koi pond as I waited on my take-out order. She was giggling and pointing and loving the turtles and fish that were moving around below. The turtles came to the surface every now and then, and she asked why the fish never did. I was explaining how God made every animal with different needs and purposes. Fish to live underwater because the air would in fact hurt them, and the turtles with the ability to swim underwater for a time, but needing to come up for air to breathe every now and then. I went on to tell her that if they didn't stay where God made them to be, they wouldn't survive. And I realized it was such a teachable moment... for me . Today I got a "no" on a situation that has, to this point, been a "maybe," and I was hoping might be a "yes." If I'm honest, I felt disappointment and might have shed a few tears. But so clearly I felt the Lord saying, as He has been for the past few months, "I...