Skip to main content

When Friends With Sister-Dents Save the Day

Many of you know, I traded my Tahoe in for a mini-van about six months ago. Now, my Tahoe was not a fancy one. Just a basic model. But I loved being up high and having the feel of a truck. Maybe a little power trip? I don't know, but anyway. I got to a point where the need for function trumped the look and feel of the Tahoe. Bless it.

So, when an opportunity presented itself, I jumped headfirst for cliched mom life. And I almost jumped for joy the first time I went to Sam's and, wait for it, filled the back of that sweet old Honda Odyssey full of food...and had ROOM TO SPARE...JUST IN THE BACK!!! Seriously, y'all. If you have a Tahoe you know what I mean. Very little storage behind that third row. So we have been rocking along for a number of months now. 

But, when the newness wears off...even on an older used vehicle...you start to see it for what it really is. I was so in awe of the inside awesomeness in the beginning (hello, dvd player that is loaded from the FRONT, captain's chairs with removable middle seat, SLIDING DOORS!...), that I didn't care about a couple of dents and scratches along the way. 

When we purchased the vehicle, it had two small dents on the hood. It still does. But it also has scratches and claw marks where our puppy has jumped on the car as we all pile in, desperate to get inside (which she does as soon as the sliding doors open, Lord help me!). It has bike handle scratches from a too optimistic boy trying to ride through a narrow space between vehicles. It also has a new dent in the back hatch where I sort of rolled into my hubby's truck bumper as I was backing out (it was not in its usual place...it happens, right?).

So anyway, yesterday I went out of town for a funeral and was able to have lunch with one of my best friends from college while there. I was feeling excited to see her, along with many folks I hadn't seen in years, but then I looked at my van. Yikes...I mean, yikes. Ha! I was planning to just park to the side so no one would notice it (maybe?) but finally resigned myself to just get over it. I mean, it is what it is. But I still sighed as I parked and gave it one last glance before I went inside the restaurant where my friend and I were meeting. 

Now, the friend I was meeting is actually the one who got my wheels turning about mini-van life in the first place. I rode to the beach with her a couple of years ago and found myself secretly coveting her new Honda O. And I expected to see her newer version, perfectly neat and clean, in all its glory as we exited the restaurant to say our goodbyes. 

But, y'all. It was glorious! As we approached her car, a joy filled my heart. There, on the side of her super mom vehicle, was not only a dent the size of mine, but two scratches running on the side as well! Seriously! I told her that made me feel so much better to see that I was not the only one! She laughed and shared where her battle scars had come from, pointing out her missing back windshield wiper along the way. 

That precious friend has no idea how she blessed my heart. She is beautiful and so very smart and just awesome in every way. Yet, she is just fine driving around in her dented, scratched, mama-van. And owning it. She shared the heart of Christ with me, without even trying.

Isn't it wonderful when the Lord gives you sweet encouragement right when you need it most? Even about the silliest, most ridiculous things? I beat myself up for caring about how my car looks and feeling too materialistic, and yet, He loves me enough to give me reassurance and confidence in Him

And, let me tell ya', as I drove home, I wasn't thinking about what I was driving. I was praising a big, marvelous, funny God. One who would send me straight to a friend with a sister-dent, right when I needed her most. Because it wasn't just her van that blessed my heart that day. It was our conversation about real struggles with real things in every day life that blessed me more.

We all have "dents" in our lives. Whether in our vehicles or in our hearts. we all need friends to come alongside us and show us their dents and scratches as well. They are one of life's greatest gifts.

So, here's to lived-in vehicles and precious friends who walk alongside us through this crazy life. And the One who is with us through it all.


(Proverbs 27:17)

P.S. I won't lie...I do hope that somewhere in my future, the Lord sees fit for me to have a shiny, scratch-free, dent-free, rockin' SUV. But until then...I'm savoring each little moment in my current beat up mini-van awesomeness.:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Beginning!

Hey y'all! I have just launched a new blog site called The Little Moments to continue sharing about what the Lord is teaching me in the little moments of life. Make sure to subscribe/follow at the bottom of the main page and I'll send you a free, 3 Day Devotional! Share with your friends! Thank you so much for reading and see you there! thelittlemoments.org

Why Hard Things? Mercy in the Storms

Disagreement. Discontent. Complaints. Injustice. It seems that it's all we hear about in the news these days. Black vs. White. Democrat vs. Republican. Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice. etc, etc etc. The list could go on all day. But right now, there's none of that. When I turn on the news, I see one thing. A heartbroken community rallying around those who have experienced great loss,  and a shift in focus. That's because tragedy is the great equalizer. Natural disasters, sickness, death...they level the playing field. There is no color or class or financial advantage. A storm doesn't decide to spare one people over another. We are all at the mercy of something we can't control. And we are left helpless, in the waiting. That helplessness. That brokenness. The sheer uncertainty of what tomorrow holds,  brings us together. And it is beautiful to see. We can't talk our way out of it. We can't buy our way out of it. ...

When Things Don't Go Your Way

Tonight Hazel and I sat staring in a koi pond as I waited on my take-out order. She was giggling and pointing and loving the turtles and fish that were moving around below. The turtles came to the surface every now and then, and she asked why the fish never did. I was explaining how God made every animal with different needs and purposes. Fish to live underwater because the air would in fact hurt them, and the turtles with the ability to swim underwater for a time, but needing to come up for air to breathe every now and then. I went on to tell her that if they didn't stay where God made them to be, they wouldn't survive. And I realized it was such a teachable moment... for me . Today I got a "no" on a situation that has, to this point, been a "maybe," and I was hoping might be a "yes." If I'm honest, I felt disappointment and might have shed a few tears. But so clearly I felt the Lord saying, as He has been for the past few months, "I...